Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Pattern Review - Whimsy Couture Boys Shorts

I recently had the privilege of pattern testing this adorable Boy's Shorts pattern for Whimsy Couture. This pattern is seriously a breeze to put together and would be a perfect pattern for a beginner! You will be proud of the finished project so much that you will have to make another pair. :)

Being that there are 2 little boys in my home, that was also a pretty good reason for a second pair.
For the second pair, I chose an Ocean Creature denim that had been waiting patiently in my stash for the perfect project to bring it to life. My little fella and I agree this was it!

I decided to add embellished cargo style pockets to the sides by simply ironing a side seam for alignment. The pockets are made from a coordinating orange corduroy with a couple of the sea creature cut-outs from a scrap of the denim as appliques.

And as I've shared before, I really love using personalized tags in my sewing. It not only gives the item a finished look, but it's fun! Not to mention it helps my little guys know which is the back....always important! ;) There couldn't have been a more perfect tag for these shorts!!!
The shorts can be made in 3 different ways, so you really get more for your money. The Dino Dudes is the first version, flat front with the side pockets. The Ocean Creatures is the third, simple elastic waistband that I modified a bit with the cargo style pockets.
The PDF pattern offers easy to follow, step-by-step instructions with photos for each step to make it even easier to compare your project as your progress. Plus, you get sizes 0/6M - 8 all in one pattern! Gotta love that! And since you can select the size you want to print pieces for, you could have as little as 2 pages to print and prepare before getting started...I really like that! :)
You can check out the Boys Shorts and all the other great patterns at:
Whimsy Couture Pattern Shop
One Family Sewing project down! :)


Pattern: Boys Shorts by Whimsy Couture
Fabric: Lightweight denim print and corduroy (Ocean Creatures pair)
Dino Dudes by Michael Miller (Dinosaur & Dots pair)

3 comments:

The Sewing Dork said...

I'd like to make those for my girl. Thanks for the link!

Karima said...

Hi returning the follow for you, Karima x
www.karimascrafts.com

Love the choice of fabrics!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Thanks for sharing this pattern, Kristy. I always like to know how others find patterns. It's great to know you can just print the one sized pattern. Both versions of the shorts look great, but especially the cargo pants version.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...