Monday, November 14, 2011

Shirring Surprise....it really IS easy!

This weekend was full of several new things for me, and shirring was one of them! I must admit, it was one of those things I had kind of been intimidated by and had failed to attempt, regardless of owning multiple patterns that I wanted to make that required shirring. Well, Lucy did it for me. I finally jumped in....figuring after the rough sewing night I had shared on facebook the other evening, I really had nothing to lose but a little fabric. ;) And guess what? It really IS easy to shir!!!

Here are the basics....and I'm including a link at the end of this post for an in depth tutorial that you may find very helpful as well.

The main ingredient for shirring is Elastic Thread. It is gently wound around the bobbin and will create the stretchy stitch once sewn and steamed.
 As is suggested in the Lucy Little Flower pattern, using a stretch or elastic stitch on your machine when sewing will also help.
This is what your rows of stitching will look like.
When first sewn there will not be much gathering. It is the magic of STEAM from your iron that will release the instant ruffling. This pic really doesn't do it justice, but you can seriously watch the fabric gather up right before your eyes!

For an excellent and detailed example of the process of shirring, see Sandi Henderson's Shir Madness PDF Tutorial HERE.

Shir Delight! ;) 

2 comments:

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

This is something I have been wanting to try -- I'll be sure to check out that tutorial, thanks!!

Sarah @ Fabric Seeds said...

I guess I should read thru things before I try to start them :) I printed out the pattern pieces, and almost made a decision on fabric. I didn't know this one does shirring too. I did learn how to do it when I bought my new machine and was being shown all the things it can do, but I am still intimidated. I just don't want to do it wrong! ha! wish me luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...