Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Simple Sewing Tip - Pinking

This is a super simple sewing tip that can save you quite a bit of time! 
Pinking Shears!
When you are sewing a pattern with curved seams, particularly clothing, it is very important to clip the seams to allow the piece to lay smoothly once turned. 
 Most patterns will suggest clipping small "V" shapes in the curves. Pinking Shears can do this in a matter of seconds! And in most cases, you are less likely to snip through your stitching when using Pinking Shears since you aren't cutting towards your stitches, but around them.

The result is a nice, smooth, uniform curved seam that lays beautifully!
Pinking Shears. A simple tip to make sewing even more enjoyable!

11 comments:

McKenna C. said...

Great tip! I was thinking about getting some, now I know I will!

~McKenna
http://chiccrafting.blogspot.com/

Needled Mom said...

Good tip. I use my pinking shears in my sewing all the time, but have not used them for the curves. Hmm.

Nicole said...

Reading this really gave me one of those... "why didn't I think of of that" moments :) I'm always clipping little v's with my scissors. Thanks for the post on this!!

Christie said...

Great tip! Definitely an "aha" moment!

Melissa said...

That is brilliant! Thank you for sharing :)

Deana said...

Great tip.... ….I'd like to invite you to share this @CountryMommaCooks Saturday Link and Greet Party starts(Fri.6pm.ct-Sun.)…..have a wonderful day:)

Little City Farm said...

This is exactly the type of tip I need as a newbie sewer. I would be thrilled if you would share this at our Link It Up Thursday party going on until Monday. http://thesepeastastefunny.blogspot.com/2012/02/link-it-up-thursday-8.html

Amy said...

That is crazy!! I actually have snipped through my seams before! I am so getting a pair of pinking shears!!! I saw this on Pam's linky for sewing tips and I'm so glad I did!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Couldn't live without my pinking shears!!! Thanks for linking up, Kristy...

Darlene said...

Oh. My. Stars!
I've sewn for 46 years and I NEVER before thought of (or saw) this tip. Brilliant!
Thanks for sharing.

Lanetta said...

Thank you for sharing a great tip with wonderful pictures! I love pinking those outer curves - saves so much time! I shared your tip/link in today's article... http://lanettascreations.blogspot.com/2013/09/sewing-tips-and-techniques.html#.UjwTsMasiSo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...